Sharepoint 2010 “Cannot connect to configuration database” issue
Sourabh has installed Sharepoint 2010 in his new (upgraded) machine and I started playing with that .
After few days, i felt bored of using http://BanXXXX:portname and planned to rename it using
Click SharePoint 2010 Management Shell.At the Windows PowerShell command prompt, type the following command:
Rename-SPServer [-Identity] OriginalServerName -Name NewServerName
Where: OriginalServerName is the original name of the stand-alone server. NewServerName is the new name of the stand-alone server.
Today,Our mission started at 11:30 am and failed at 11:45 am ….The problem is we started getting “Cannot connect to configuration database” Error.
The main reason is we neglected -identity part of the Query.Resolution steps:
1. If the WSS is in a server farm, use the “SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard” to disconnect the server from the farm.
2. Navigate to Start >Program > Microsoft SQL Server 2005 > Configuration Tools >SQL Server Configuration Manager
3. Navigate to SQL Server 2005 Network Configuration > Protocol for MSSQLSERVER
4. Right click Named Pipes and select Enable (if not enabled)
5. Restart SQL Server (Service MSSQLSERVER (mostly))
6. Join back the server to server farm using “SharePoint Products and Technologies Configuration Wizard” and follow the wizards (Recreate the server farm)
Note: If the installation is a stand-alone installation, then you don’t need to worry about steps 1 & 6