Gaming : 2D Game Engines
I have decided to learn,develop and market a Game.Cool!!! but which game engine/framework should i go with ?
What are the pros and cons of existing Game Engines?
Where can i leverage my existing coding and design skills ?
Today,This post will try to answer to few of the questions.There are N number of game engines.We will talk about only a few here.
Construct 2 :
Construct 2 is a powerful ground breaking HTML5 game creator designed specifically for 2D games. It allows anyone to build games — no coding required!
Unity is a game development ecosystem: a powerful rendering engine fully integrated with a complete set of intuitive tools and rapid workflows to create interactive 3D and 2D content; easy multiplatform publishing; thousands of quality, ready-made assets in the Asset Store and a knowledge-sharing community.
For independent developers and studios, Unity’s democratizing ecosystem smashes the time and cost barriers to creating uniquely beautiful games. They are using Unity to build a livelihood doing what they love: creating games that hook and delight players on any platform.
- 2D & 3D
- Large community and Forums
- Vast Asset store (with Free/paid Assets)
GameMaker : Studio
GameMaker: Studio caters to entry-level novices and seasoned game development professionals equally, allowing them to create cross-platform games in record time and at a fraction of the cost!
In addition to making games development 80 percent faster than coding for native languages, developers can create fully functional prototypes in just a few hours, and a full game in just a matter of weeks.
- Multiformat Export
- Developer Services
- Easy to Learn
Coding : Game Maker Language (GML)
Gideros provides the cross-platform technology to create amazing games. In a couple of hours, you’ll find yourself building and running your next great game.
- It’s Free
- Instant Testing
- Native Speed
- Clean OOP Approach
- Full Dev Set
- Fast development
Coding : Lua Scripting
cocos2d is a framework for building 2D games, demos, and other graphical/interactive applications.
Cocos2d contains many branches with the best known being Cocos2d-iPhone, Cocos2d-x, Cocos2d-html5 and Cocos2d-XNA.
- Flow control: Manage the flow control between different scenes in an easy way
- Sprites: Fast and easy sprites
- Actions: Just tell sprites what you want them to do. Composable actions like move, rotate,scale and much more
- Effects: Effects like waves, twirl, lens and much more
- Tiled Maps: Support for rectangular and hexagonal tiled maps
- Transitions: Move from scene to scene with style
- Menus: Built in classes to create menus
- Text Rendering: Label and HTMLLabel with action support
- Documentation: Programming Guide + API Reference + Video Tutorials + Lots of simple tests showing how to use it
- Built-in Python Interpreter: For debugging purposes
- BSD License: Just use it
- Pyglet Based: No external dependencies
- OpenGL Based: Hardware Acceleration
Coding : Multiple Languages
There are many other 2D platforms out there
- LÖVE is an *awesome* framework you can use to make 2D games in Lua. It’s free, open-source, and works on Windows, Mac OS X and Linux.
- Stencyl : Design Once, Play Anywhere.Publish iPhone, iPad, Android, Flash, Windows & Mac games without code
- Torque 2D is a powerful, flexible, and fast open source engine dedicated to 2D game development.
- Allegro : A mature, battle-tested C/C++ game framework with multiple platform support.